LS Conversion | G Force
What is an LS Conversion?
An LS conversion involves the swapping and installation of engines into an existing vehicle. LS stands for any engine manufactured by GM. This is the primary V8 engine manufactured by GM and widely used in the Chevy Corvette beginning in 1997. It’s a popular choice for aftermarket engine conversions also known as LS Swaps.
Can I put any type of engine in any type of car?
You could potentially swap engines of different makes to almost any model of car. However, the cost may be a factor in that decision. To avoid wasting money on an LS conversion, be sure to talk to a reliable engineer before servicing the vehicle. Based on your budget and the performance you’re looking for, an experienced professional can help you determine which engine will work best.
What is the estimated cost for a custom engine swap?
Custom swapping an engine varies significantly in cost depending on the involved materials and cars as well as the amount of labor necessary for completing the swap. Prices can range from as low as $1,500 to higher than $12,000.
LS Swaps with G Force Performance Products
G Force Performance Products is a leading designer, manufacturer and distributor of automotive components for LS conversions and other accessories. Our products can help you upgrade from stock parts and swap out components from your car. We also offer adjustable transmission mounts, crossmembers, bellhousing adapters, flywheels, exhaust parts and more! The following products are ideal for LS conversions, increasing the stability of the vehicle's new engine. You can learn more about Transmission Swap Basics as well as LS Swaps from our blog articles.
G Force Adjustable Transmission Mount Replacement
Our Adjustable Transmission Mount offers an innovative simplicity for improved efficiency and stability. Because it allows for an offset of 1 to 2.5 inches, this product is ideal for LS conversion applications requiring the moving of your transmission from its stock location. The simple, bolt-in mount design also prevents swapping misalignment.
As a result, your transmission will accurately align with your drivetrain without issue. We have designed the adjustable transmission mounts with strong mounting hardware and polyurethane bushing. It fits most manual or automatic GM RWD transmissions. Additionally, the mount is adjustable before securing the slide bolt with an install height of 1.75 inches, so you can accurately place the assembly. NOTE: Check your current transmission mount's pattern dimensions to confirm it matches prior to purchasing a mount replacement.
The Z33 Kit: Nissan 350z V8 LS Conversions Kit allows for the connection of a Nissan 350Z 6-Speed Transmission to a Gen III or Gen IV LS Series Chevy Small Block Engine. If you are looking for a transmission that can handle the power of an LS engine without spending too much money, this is the ideal swap kit for you. Also, these transmissions are durable and easy to find. The Z33 Kit: Nissan 350z V8 LS Conversions Kit is applicable for transmissions available in Nissan 350Zs from 2003 to 2008. This LS Conversion/Swap Kit includes:
- Custom Steel Flywheel
- 3/8 Steel Adapter Plate with a Powder Coated Finish
- Pilot Bushing and Adapter
- Hi-Torque Starter Adapter
- (Use your current Hi-Torque Mini Starter or purchase one separately.)
- Mounting Hardware
- Flywheel is a billet steel kit, weighing about 30 lbs.
- Direct bolt-on flywheel: No adapters or spacer bushings.
- (Some conversion kits use lighter aluminum flywheels. However, 30-pound steel wheels are best for 90% of all available builds.)
- Flywheel is applicable with any OEM or aftermarket 350Z clutch assembly.
- Stock 350Z pilot bushing with a machined steel adapter included.
- No transmission modifications required.
- Some heavy wall bell-housings may need a minor clearance trim for the flywheel ring gear. Simply polish away .06 inches over a small area the size of a stamp.
- The LS block requires the removal of a small casting boss to create clearance for your high-torque starter.
- A minor modification with a hand grinder. Instructions included with purchase.
The Z32 Kit: Nissan 300z V8 LS Conversions Kit can connect a Nissan 300zx, 5-speed transmission to an LS engine. It is also ideal for projects with strict budgetary restraints. This kit will allow you to run a manual transmission that can handle the immense power of LS engines. Z32 transmissions are capable of withstanding 700 horsepower. They are also incredibly durable and readily available in salvage yards or classified ads for approximately $300. The Z32 Kit: Nissan 300z V8 LS Conversions Kit fits naturally-aspirated 300zx transmissions with twin turbo or naturally-aspirated plate/clutch setups from 1990 to 1996 exclusively. This LS Conversion/Swap Kit includes:
- Custom Steel Flywheel
- 3/8 Steel Powder Coated Adapter Plate
- Pilot Bushing Adapter
- Mounting Hardware
- Includes stock 300zx pilot bushing and machined steel adapter.
- 300zx Starter mounted on side of transmission.
- Incompatible with twin-turbo Z32 transmissions.
- The twin-turbo Z32 has a much larger bellhousing, which places the starter farther from the flywheel ring gear. As a result, the starter will not properly engage with the flywheel.
- 300zx pressure plate/clutch and throw-out bearing.
- Compatible with naturally-aspirated or twin-turbo pressure plate/clutch discs.
More Technical Information from the GForce Team About Our Products and LS Conversion
LS conversions are not a simple process. Every single component that makes the motor work must be modified for a new platform. Conversions are complicated and the process is different for each application.
Components required in any LS conversion:
- Motor Mounts
- Transmission Cross Members
- Shifter linkage modification
- Throttle cable modification (or in the case of drive by wire, electronic throttle pedal adaptor and CAN BUS electronic adaptor)
- Oil Pan
- Front end accessories
- This includes: water pump, alternator, AC compressor, tensioners, belts and associated mounting brackets and shims
- Wiring Harness
- Cooling Components
- Cooling hoses, fans, radiator,
- Fuel Components
- Fuel lines, pump, fittings, fuel return lines, fuel rail
- Oil filter relocation
- Clutch Lines
This list of components for LS swaps brings us to where our products fall in line with solving the complex problem that is an LS conversion. For traditional style LS conversions, we offer transmission crossmembers and some motor mounts for specific conversions. The adapter plates that we offer solve very specific problems for customers. IE, customers who want to convert a specific transmission and motor into any platform. Although these kits might allow customers to choose different transmission and motor combinations, it does not solve a customers desire to convert these specific motor and transmission combinations into specific platforms or cars. Pairing these adaptor plates with transmission crossmembers or motor mounts would allow them to be considered “LS conversion kits” as oppose to “LS Conversion components”
A transmission crossmember from G Force allows our customers to convert transmissions into specific applications, but solves no other concern. You can learn more about why our customers choose G Force and finding the right crossmember for your project.
G Force motor mounts allow customers to convert specific motors into specific applications or platforms but solves no other concern.
In addition, our transmission adaptor plates allow our customers to combine specific motor and transmissions but solve no other concern.
Customers who choose our specific components are solving one of the many concerns they have when converting their motor or transmission. Each concern is very specific. As a whole, we can say that our products offer quality solutions to specific problems, but also offer specific benefits for each application. Establishing product benefits would be easiest knowing which specific products we want to analyze.
As a whole, our product quality is better or equally as good as our competition with very competitive pricing.