Cummins Allison | A Popular Conversion
Adaptability is a pivotal element to Cummins Allison Combination
A Little History / Cummins Diesel Advantages / Cummins Allison Adapter Kits
For the enthusiast, specific engine and transmission pairings produce superior results compared to others. It all depends on what you are looking to get from your swap. Whether you race, tow, sled pull, or want a better drive, a Cummins swap is an excellent choice if you’re looking to utilize a high horsepower Cummins build.
No longer limited to Duramax pickup truck engines, the Allison 1000 Series easily handles the torque of a Cummins engine. In addition, an Allison 1000 Series in conjunction with your choice of transmission controller allows you to adjust your transmission performance to your driving requirements, improving your on-road or track experience.
A Little History
In 1999, the Allison 1000 5-speed Series was introduced. In 2001, GM was the first of the large auto manufacturers to convert from a manual transmission to an automatic for diesel engines. They replaced the 4L80E transmission with the Allison and began pairing it with their 6.6L Duramax diesel engine. The power, adaptability, and size of the 1000 Series exceeded anything their competitors had on the market at that time.
Because manual transmissions inherently are simpler designs, there is no communication between powertrain components. Therefore, the more complex automatic Allison 1000 provided advanced elements like dynamic shift schedules and engine braking.
For these reasons, the popularity of an Allison Cummins conversion grew along with its reputation for innovative use of technology, as well as its reliability and strength. Now, it is one of the most sought-after automatic transmissions in its class.
From 2001 – 2005, the GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado 2500/3500 with 6.6L Duramax diesel engines rolled off the line with Allison 5-speed transmissions. In 2006, GM switched these trucks to the Allison automatic 6-speed. This cummin diesel upgrade made the transmission a double overdrive, which lowered cruising RPMs by about 14% resulting in better speed and fuel efficiency. GM continues production with this engine-transmission combination today.
Once enthusiasts recognized the power and flexibility of the Allison 1000 Series, the Cummins Allison conversion gained popularity.
A Cummins Diesel Adds the Following
- Performance—diesel engines provide substantially more torque resulting in improved acceleration and more towing power than traditional gasoline-powered engines.
- Engine longevity—it is not uncommon for a Cummins diesel engine to outlast the vehicle itself
- Improved fuel economy—diesel engines are more fuel-efficient than gasoline engines
- Straightforward modification—new modifications and upgrades frequently arise for diesel engines. Also, to assist do-it-yourselfers, an abundance of resources are readily available.
When mated to the Allison, the Cummins swap becomes an unbeatable combination. It is a very popular choice among Dodge truck owners.
Allison 1000 Ratios
*6th gear available in model years 2006 and newer.
Other Allison Specs
High horsepower from your diesel with Cummins Allison swapIf you’re looking for a transmission to support your high horsepower Cummins, a Cummins swap adapter kit from G Force might well be the answer you have been looking for. We offer two different Cummins Allison Conversion Adapter Kits depending on the year of your engine.
1989-2002 Cummins Allison Conversion Adapter Kit
Our GF-A-S | 1989-2002 Cummins Swap Kit includes a bellhousing adapter plate, flexplate, and mounting bolts. In fact, it is designed to bolt a 6BT Cummins engine to an Allison 1000 automatic transmission for model years 2001 – 2007 or with the LT Duramax bellhousing pattern.
Important details about this engine to transmission adapter kit.
- Years: 89-02
- Transmissions: Allison 1000 Series automatic
- G Force Performance adapters position the transmission straight, not angle rotated as some OEM applications.
- Our adapter kit requires the use of a Ford 6.4L Powerstroke starter.
- As an option, a Ford 6.0L Powerstroke starter can be used, but some bellhousings will require additional interior clearance.
- In some applications clearance modifications to the engine block pan rail and the Powerstroke starter may be necessary.
2003 – 2017 Cummins Allison Adapter Kit
Our 2003 – 2017 Cummins to Allison Adapter Kit | GF-A-SL includes a bellhousing adapter plate, flexplate, and mounting hardware. It also is designed to bolt a Cummins 6BT engine to an Allison 1000 Series automatic transmission for model years 2001 – 2007 or with the LT Duramax bellhousing pattern.
Other important information about the 03-17 Cummins engine to transmission adapter kit.
- Years: 03-17
- Transmissions: Allison 1000 Series automatic
- Unlike some OEM applications, the G Force adapter positions the transmission straight, not angle rotated.
- A Ford 6.4L Powerstroke starter is required by this adapter kit.
- Optionally, with additional interior clearance for some bellhousings, a Ford 6.0L Powerstroke starter can be used.
- Clearance modifications to the Powerstroke starter and engine block pan rail may be necessary for some applications.
There are many advantages that come with an Allison Cummins swap. Our engine to transmission adapter kit experts are available to answer your questions and help guide you through the process. Check out our full line of Cummins engine to transmission adapter kits. We’d love to hear about your next project.
There are many advantages that come with a Cummins Allison swap.Our experts on transmission adapters are available to answer your questions and help guide you through the process. We have a full line of Cummins Engine to Transmission Adapter Kits.
We’d love to hear about your next project #swappedmyride. Find us on Facebook or Instagram @gforceperformanceproducts.
If you’d like to learn more about a Cummins swap, check out these blog articles—Which 6BT is Best for Your Swap, Diesel Cummins Conversion Adapter Kits, The Popular Ford Cummins Swap, 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Cummins Specifications, and 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Cummins Specifications.
Find out more about all of the G Force engine to transmission adapter kits here.